Appointment of a Development Director
The Air League (formed in 1909) is a not-for-profit organisation, currently with an office, in Central London. The Trustees are looking for a Development Director to take the lead and proactively secure and manage the induction of new and retention of existing corporate members.
We anticipate that the new director will work closely with Trustees and the Council of the Air League in the task required.
Working with the CEO and for the Trustees, the successful candidate will be a key player in the growth and long-term development of the Air League. This will be achieved not only by improving membership and benefits, but also through input to and implementation of the charity’s strategic plan.
Background to the Air League
The Core Purpose of the Air League is to be “an influential champion for aviation and aerospace in a challenging global environment.”
- The Air League provides opportunities, through key events, that showcase British Aviation, Aerospace and their part in Security (AAS). These events involve the key players in AAS.
- The Air League promotes a broad understanding of the benefits and opportunities that AAS delivers to promote the UK on a Global basis. By doing so, we highlight the technical, innovative, entrepreneurial skills associated with AAS. We work to show how the sectors are politically astute and at the heart of wealth-creation for the UK.
- The Air League engages and works with the next generation. Promoting the significant career opportunities available in AAS industries through scholarships, bursaries and a thriving ‘Leading Edge’ section, we work hard to ensure we support all parts of the community in the UK.
What are we looking for
The successful candidate will have a record of dynamic leadership and experience in working with and presenting to senior level managers, having contributed at a senior level within the military, industry, or both. Indeed, the successful candidate should have a deep understanding of the Aviation and Aerospace sectors. Candidates need to be confident as an ambassador and ‘face’ of The Air League, and have exceptional interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with multiple stakeholders at various levels.
The Air League requires candidates to show an entrepreneurial approach to the task and be innovative, self motivated and easily able to work well on their own.
Experience of Trusteeship of a Charity, with knowledge of 3rd sector governance, would be an advantage as well as demonstration of a network in the Air League’s business sectors.
The Development Director will be expected to contribute to strengthening the governance arrangements of The Air League.
Core focus areas for the role
- To develop, with Trustees, a detailed Corporate Membership capture and retention programme
- Raise the organisation’s profile by attracting and involving interested parties input to the Air League’s long term Strategic Plan
- To implement and Manage a viable Customer Relationship Management Relationship (CRM) process
- Thereby, to deliver new members, particularly corporate members and continue to develop the Strategic Plan.
- To attend, implement and build Air League outreach programmes.
- Work with the Trustees to ensure current outputs continue to be delivered to our members and the wider community of new members.
- To engage with and promote activities through social media platforms.
Terms and Conditions
The post, initially for one year, is part time. A competitive performance-related remuneration with expenses will be offered. It is anticipated that a flexible working arrangement will be agreed, but there will be a need to visit the London Office to engage with existing staff to progress projects. In addition the Development Director will be expected to report to the Chairman, and work with, Trustees and Council Members on the Campaign aspects of the job.
In the first instance please apply to:
Andrew Brookes, Chief Executive, The Air League, Broadway House, Tothill Street, London SW1H 9NS or email [email protected]